I've spent the last week and a half planning out the entire major project. Predictably we have way overshot the mark with 40 pages.
I asked Dom to write the script from my idea and told him to not worry about the page count, just make sure it makes sense. It could have been worse I suppose but it looks like that was a mistake.
Clearly I will be doing the minimum 24 pages and finishing the rest after hand in which is unfortunate but I didn't want to chop the story up anymore as it was already a bit compressed and I don't want to compromise the artwork quality by trying to get all 40 pages done.
I tried to get all the body language and page compositions working at this point so that I can focus on the finish of the pages from here on out. I've noted before but for me this is the hard part. It's all thinking and not much drawing. I'm thinking about plotting out each page so that it is a nice looking illustration when looked at as a whole, that it moves the story forward clearly and additionally i am trying to do similar scenes and shots in different ways each time as I want to avoid getting stuck in a pattern and want to continually be trying new approaches.
There are a few notes in red I have left myself for various changes so that when i come to those pages I can make the fixes before I begin finishing the pages.
There is a variety of quality to the different pages. Some are definitely clearer than others. I think for a few of the pages I will be able to go straight to inks with some panels and save some time that way.
I am a little concerned that I haven't used enough establishing shots. I'll address this as well as I continue with the work.
It was cool to get some double page spreads in there too - something I haven't done before so that will be an interesting challenge.
Anyway, here are the layouts.