Tuesday, 14 March 2017

Logo 2

I've spent the evening working up the logo in Illustrator. Here's the image with a few different fonts.

Not keen on either of these. The first font I think doesn't match well with the logo, the second I think is too cartoonish.

I like the overall look of the first one here but the font is sort of hand made by me and it doesn't look great. The one on the right is one of my two favs. I think the font works nice with the logo.

Both of these I quite like as well. The one on the right is a bit simpler but easier to read and the one on the left fits well with the image.

A couple of things are bothering me about the image. I think I will have one last pass at remaking it and try to get the cutaway shapes looking more precise.

Comichaus Poster Project

A couple of weeks ago we were given a 2 week project to create a poster for a new comics app for the publisher, Comichaus. 

They wanted a 1950's style advert so after some quick research I decided to go for a pretty girl to sell the product. The brief asked for the app to be displayed on an i-pad so that the publisher can stick the different covers into it easily. 

That either meant the floating screen that I went with or the back of a character holding the device and looking over their shoulder or the character holding up the device. I decided to keep it simple and have the floating I-pad large and visible in front of the illustration. 

I started by finding some reference and doing a rough layout and followed that up with tighter pencils.

I then inked the image in vector layers. I find this helps me clean up the line manually after drawing by using the vector tools in Clip Studio as I have quite a shaky hand generally. 

I noticed at near the end that the girls body was bothering me. I think it needs to be a bit longer around the mid section. If the publisher comes back and wants to use the image I will edit it to fix this as it will annoy me for it to be out there when I know it's "wrong".

After the line work was done I flat coloured the image and began rendering with light and shadow layers and finally finished off the piece by dropping in some old paper textures and stains at low opacity. I actually think the flat colour version might work better. It's really nice and graphic.

The red background is clashing with the .com of the logo. Even changing the .com to white I think the background colour will still have to be edited.

Dick Raygun

For the Science Fiction Comics module I created a 4 page Flash Gordon parody comic written by Dom Archer.

Here's the inks and letters. Colours are in progress by Rebecca Horner.

I had a blast working on this but was a wee bit rushed. There are some panels I would have preferred to spend more time on, redrawing poses or framing them better. I think it work's reasonably well for what it is though and colour (based on the 1982 Flash Gordon movie) either from Rebecca or myself in the future will really add to it. 

Logo Design

The main brief for this semester was to come up with an ident or logo/branding for ourselves. I decided to keep going with this blog rather than start a new one because let's face it, I am the lost legionnaire and these projects are my demons.

Here's what I have been working on for it and what I settled on. I worked at first with markers on paper creating variations of a couple of ideas I had.

Following feedback I pursued the more triangular design ideas further, the typed ones seemed a bit obvious.

I liked the addition of the curves to the G and W so I did a little more tweaking in Photoshop. I also dropped the left side of the W and experimented with the style of the logo and font.

I like both of these but I think the blocky one looks sharper. I'm going to take that one into Illustrator and turn it into the final logo next.

The plan is to use this on business cards and a portfolio website and possibly drop the comics artist text in future and use the ident as a signature stamp.